Monday, February 21, 2022

Theme is a Term of Art

The way we use the word theme in the board game hobby is a term of art, meaning it has a specific definition to our field that does not exist outside of board games. The more hobby board games develop the more terms of art we will have. Terms of art are the reason we need board game literature, because we need a standardizing record of what these terms mean. And also because it is incredibly hard to google terms of art. This post will explore in more depth the current definition of theme as a term of art in hobby board games (as I see it). 

In Why We Say Theme, I looked at the standard dictionary definitions of theme and drew a line to how the hobby definition developed from theme-as-topic. In that post, I referenced back to my definition. However, astute readers of this blog will note I used my definition for thematic hook and not my definition for theme. That is because the formula "Noun + Verb + Win condition" is catchier, and I am all about terms and definitions that are easy to remember. Here is my actual, original definition for theme: theme encompasses the setting, story, and tone/mood of a game. Note that I never said "theme IS" in my original definition, because I wasn't entirely sure at the time of writing that post where that boundary lay. However, you can see that there is considerable overlap between the thematic hook definition and the theme definition. Both are attempts to describe the story elements required in order to be a theme. 

I had been meaning to revisit my definition of theme ever since I wrote Why We Say Theme. However, my thoughts didn't crystalize on this subject until I saw Isaac's post about vision. Borrowing his usage of the terms subject and setting, I am finally able to restate my original definition of theme as something both more accurate and hopefully easy to remember. 

To review Isaac's definitions: setting is the historical, geographical, political, and related contexts that the work exists within. Subject is the topic of the work. In thematic hook terms, subject is the noun and verb. Broadly speaking, subject includes narrative and characters, but narrative or characters are not required in subjects or themes. Games depicting real world systems may not have any characters (perhaps only a single machine and various procedures). While I would say that all games contain a story in some form, many game themes do not contain traditional narrative plot elements. I have reconsidered my use of the word setting, and I would now include tone, mood, and atmosphere in setting.

There is also another element that makes board game themes/subjects unique from other forms of art: uncertain outcomes. If a theme does not in any way interact with how the game progresses, such as a superhero-themed Bicycle deck of cards, then the game does not have a theme but an art style. That's why I spend so much time bringing up character goals and win conditions—the uncertainty of the outcome of a game is what makes the experience of themed games so unique as an art form. The stories found within the subject change from play to play, even in narrative-based games. That's how you can tell the difference between a narrative game and an interactive novel. Interactive novels generally have static endings. Board games aren't static and I feel it's important to reflect that in a good definition of theme.

When we combine all of these elements, we end up with a definition of theme that feels more definitive:

Theme in board games is a subject in a setting, with an uncertain outcome.

I have to admit, I prefer a definition that is narrower and elevates more narrative-style themes— for example, "characters in a place, doing things to accomplish a goal." But the above definition is broader because it needs to be in order to be both accurate and useful as a conceptual framework. Frameworks are important as practitioners build the theory of a craft, something that is currently happening in board games. 

Also, I just like defining things. 

ShippBoard Games is a board game design blog that updates most Mondays.



No comments:

Post a Comment