Monday, October 18, 2021

Start Here

After nearly a hundred posts, I feel compelled to offer a reading list of some of the highlights of this blog. I've divided the posts into categories of interest and ordered them by how I think they will flow best conceptually. I'm aware my blog is not the easiest to navigate, but I simply can't be bothered to learn better web design. I won't do another one of these types of posts until after another hundred or so posts. 

If you are interested in theme, start here:

So You Need a Theme: Answering the most asked question regarding theme, "How can I retheme my game?"

The Anatomy of a Theme: My first attempt at defining parts of a theme.

Defining Theme: A more detailed attempt to define theme that builds on much of my writing.

The Three Levels of Theme: Ways theme can be expressed in a game. 

Thematic Transportation: One way to think about immersion.

How to Tell When a Thematic Element is a Gimmick 

Creating Resonance: A series based on my GDC talk. 

Abstraction, Representationalism, & Choice: Why specificity is better than abstraction. 

On the Subject of Subtext 


If you are interested in designing for emotions, start here: 

Emotion-Driven Design

Empathy-Driven Design

Creating Emotions in Players: A look at two emotional arcs used in games. 

Tools to Create Emotions: My most popular post. 

A Close Look at Endowment Effect: How one of my designs used loss aversion for emotional effect. 


If you want to learn about how game design intersects with art, start here: 

Are Designers Artists?: YES. 

Art Versus Craft: Are craftspeople artists? ALSO YES.

Collaboration in the Arts: All art is collaborative. Just like in making board games. 

Limitations in Art: All art has limitations. 

Art, Pandering, & Propaganda: Defining some terms. 


If you want to read what little I've written about mechanics and adjacent topics, start here: 

The Seven Action Categories of Board Games: A method of thinking about mechanical elements. 

Mechanics Roundup: Acquisition (Cards): Every way to get a card during gameplay. 

The Heaviest Mechanism: What makes a mechanism heavy?

Types of Information: How information is presented via different components and mechanics. 

Everything a Game Does: A short list of game elements that tend to get relegated to apps. 

Design for Learning: Player aids, glossaries, and more. 

Board Game Titles: Just a bit of fun.


If you are looking for general design discussion, start here:

Breaking the Rules: An outline of the design process that addresses the why of the process. 

Tough Love: Questions to ask of your design. 

Innovation vs. Refinement: Relative merits of each. 

Sources of Inspiration: Where can inspiration come from?

Development Directions and Ways to Stand Out in a Crowded Market: How can my game get noticed?

Elevator Pitches: One way to get your game noticed.

The Other Complexity Creep

ShippBoard Games is a board game design blog that updates most Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment